PortTech Pitch Finalists 2015
Please join us for the PortTech Pitch Finals
Sept. 29, 2015
Ten companies will vie for top honors as the best new entrepreneurs with solutions for environmental and energy challenges during the PortTech Pitch Finals in San Pedro. The 10 finalists were culled from 80 entrants and include the first open-ocean sustainable shellfish ranch off L.A.’s coast, a method for the rapid detection of E. coli and other bacteria, and a company that makes the logistics of international cargo shipping as easy as booking a flight online.
Finalists were selected based on the potential of their business model, team composition and market opportunity. They are:
- Catalina Sea Ranch—First U.S. open-ocean shellfish aquaculture ranch on the West coast
- FireflyPower—Vertical-axis wind turbines that generate power in low-wind conditions
- Hydrophilix—Coatings to prevent bio-fouling of membrane filters used in wastewater treatment
- Marvel Energy—Energy storage technology that makes renewable energy available on demand
- Safesite—A cloud-based digital safety management system for construction sites
- SeaTrec—Technology powers autonomous underwater vehicles (e.g., AUVs)
- Shippabo—Secure, web-based application for importers, exporters and logistics managers
- Sourcify—Financial analytics solution that tracks the eco-footprint of manufactured products
- Thermal Storage Systems—Easily deployed, self-powered solar hot water system
- Velox Biosystems—A one-step, culture-free method for detecting bacteria and infectious diseases
“Each of these companies holds great promise to make a difference in our world. PortTech provides a supportive community where entrepreneurs innovate solutions to conserve energy, grow the economy and protect the environment,” said Stan Tomsic, executive director for PortTech, the L.A.-based incubator delivering cleantech solutions for ports and goods movement industries.
At the pitch competition, finalists will vie for recognition and additional support services to help them thrive. From 12:30 to 4:30 p.m., they will present to a panel of judges in the board room of the Port of L.A. Harbor Administration Building, 425 S. Palos Verdes Street, San Pedro. The event will be broadcast live on the PortTech website. Next, the Pitch Awards Celebration will occur 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at Brouwerij West, 110 E. 22nd St, San Pedro, where winners will receive Most Innovative Technology, Best Business Model and Grand Prize awards.
The Port of Los Angeles supports the PortTech Pitch program through a community investment grant.
Additional event sponsors include: Los Angeles County Economic Development Corporation, City of Los Angeles, Green Marine, Harbor Community Benefit Foundation, Metropolitan Water District of Southern California, BergCM, CalRecycle, Brouwerij West, AltaSea, MacDonnell PSOCE LA/Long Beach, Councilman Joe Buscaino - Los Angeles City Council District 15, International Technologies and Services, CMTC and Mitsubishi Cement Corporation.
About PortTechLA: PortTech Los Angeles (www.porttechla.org) is an innovation and commercialization center dedicated to creating sustainable businesses for ports and the goods movement industry. We bring together entrepreneurs, strategic partners and investors to accelerate innovation, advance clean technologies and create economic opportunities. We promote and support the development of technologies that enable enterprises to meet their environmental, energy, safety/security and transportation goals. PortTech is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and a cooperative effort of the City of Los Angeles, the Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, and Harbor Area business communities.