The PortTech team brings a broad spectrum of talents, experiences and connections to the table. Members of the Founding Board of Directors represent the Port of Los Angeles, the San Pedro and Wilmington Chambers of Commerce, USC, UCLA and the Los Angeles County Business Technology Center.
- Herb Zimmer
- Herb Zimmer has been a business owner in downtown San Pedro since 1979, is past president of the San Pedro Chamber of Commerce and was instrumental in founding PortTech. As a community activist, he has advocated and written about community development issues with the goal of making San Pedro a self-sufficient and sustainable community. Herb is the author of two white papers which made the case for leveraging the Port of Los Angeles’ need for new environmental, clean energy, homeland security and logistics technologies to create a new “knowledge-worker” job base for harbor-adjacent communities. He holds a bachelors degree in Economics from Rutgers University; served as an Army Transportation Officer in Vietnam and served as Division Manager of Marketing Development with American Airlines.
- Carter Atkins
- Carter Atkins is the environmental planner for air quality programs at the Port of Los Angeles. He has worked on several programs for the Port including the Clean Air Action Plan (CAAP), Energy Management Action Plan (EMAP), terminal energy assessments and zero emission technology programs. His project management experience includes the Port's Environmental Ship Index (ESI), Vessel Speed Reduction Incentive Program (VSRIP), shore power and other marine vessel programs.
- Thierry Dubois
- Thierry Dubois is a Senior Vice President with Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Business Banking division. In his role, he advises Small & Middle Market (SME) companies in southern California on financial strategies, international banking, cash flow management, and risk management. Thierry brings a wealth of finance and banking experience in both Canada and the US spanning over 15 years, and has held positions in corporate finance, consumer and commercial banking. Thierry has served on a variety of Executive Council committees handling ad-hoc projects, and has advised senior bank executives on operational strategies. Thierry holds a Bachelor of Commerce from Concordia University, Montreal, Canada, with concentrations in marketing and finance. Thierry has lived in 5 countries on 4 continents, and is passionate about world and economic affairs, promoting a sustainable environment, health and nutrition, and above all helping entrepreneurs create and grow companies which stimulate jobs and a strong economy.
- Doane Liu
- Doane Liu is the Deputy Executive Director and Chief of Staff at the Port of Los Angeles. Appointed in January 2015, Liu joined the Port after serving as Deputy Mayor for the City of Los Angeles. Liu was appointed to be one of four deputy mayors by Mayor Eric Garcetti in July 2013. He managed the Mayor's Office of City Services and helped oversee 15 City departments, including Water and Power, Public Works, Transportation, Recreation and Parks, LA Public Library, and the LA Zoo. Liu also established the Great Streets Studio and LA RiverWorks in the Mayor’s office. Liu was previously Chief of Staff for Councilman Joe Buscaino and served as Chief of Staff for Councilwoman Janice Hahn, Deputy Mayor for Mayor James K. Hahn and District Director for Congresswoman Jane Harman. He was also Senior Vice President of government banking at JP Morgan Chase and Vice President in the Real Estate Industries Group at Security Pacific National Bank. Liu graduated from the Wharton School at University of Pennsylvania and received an MBA from University of Southern California.
- Hossein Pourmand
- Hossein Pourmand joined USC in April 2012 and is currently Senior Executive Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations, a position he has held since May 2015. Previously, he was Executive Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations at the USC Viterbi School of Engineering. In this capacity, he led a team of professionals in facilitating and managing interactions and strategic partnerships with corporations and foundations. Hossein has over 25 years of industry experience in a variety of engineering, strategy, business development and finance roles. He started his career with Atlantic Richfield Company (ARCO) and after that worked with a number of high technology start-ups in various capacities including Venture Capital financing and business development. He has worked closely with innovators and has played a key role in the successful funding and launch of a number of high technology start-ups. Hossein has an MBA from Pepperdine University and a BS in Chemical Engineering from UCLA.
- Brian Shedd, Ph.D.
- Brian Shedd is a Technology Transfer Officer in the Office of Intellectual Property and Industry Sponsored Research at UCLA. Brian’s previous professional experiences prior to working at UCLA included positions with Alliant Techsystems (ATK) in Clearfield, CT, General Electric in Niskayuna, NY and the Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics in Boulder, CO. He is active in the Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM), the Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering (SAMPE) and the American Society of Mechanical Engineering. Brian received his PhD in Mechanical Engineering from UCLA.
- John Wentworth
- John Wentworth has run one of the most progressive and durable recruiting operations in the country since 1984, when he created Wentworth Recruiting. Wentworth Recruiting was the first company to offer on-site contract recruiting in Southern California. Since then, under John's guidance, the company has pioneered many of the key recruiting innovations of the past 25 years, most particularly the application of predictive analytics to talent management. John has served as the president of the San Pedro Peninsula Hospital Foundation and served on the board of the Catalina Conservancy. He served as a founding member of the City of Los Angeles Board of Taxicab Commissioners. John has served for a year as President of the Board of Harbor Commissioners for the Port of Los Angeles. Most recently, he served on the board of directors of the Duke Media Foundation. John is a decorated US Army Combat Veteran, and has graduated from Boston University with a degree in Communications.